Monday, February 8, 2010

Strategies For Staying Focused

Many years ago business mentor Mitch Santell said to me “Maria, lots of people are running their businesses like they’re folding deck chairs on the sinking Titanic”. I’ve never forgotten that and quite often as I’m making decisions to do something I stop to ask myself “am I just folding deck chairs”? There’s so much pressure to work harder to stay ahead and to try different things to get new results or create new revenue. Many others are taking on more and more responsibilities as they try to “do it all” in their business hoping that something will payoff. The fact of the matter is, without FOCUS, it’s easy to get caught up in the busy-ness of your business and ultimately feeling that you’re not really progressing. Here are some strategies for maintaining focus and staying on a clear path to success:

1. Work from a master plan. I enjoy life more when I live in the present moment at all times but I’m always working from a master plan. With my plan of action laid out for me, the activities I’m inspired to take in that present moment are continually leading me towards my long term objectives because I took the time to “pre-program” what those objectives are. I know in a moment’s notice whether or not I’m deviating from my long term goals.

2. Focus on fewer priority items. Working from a huge TO-DO list that you create is not as productive as you may think. It keeps you busy but not feeling very accomplished for the most part. I suggest establishing 1-2 very clear objectives for the month that feed into your long term goals. This helps you create simpler daily to-do lists that actually get completed. It’s easier to stay focused on fewer items and you’ll experience more personal satisfaction as you have more completions instead of unfinished lists each day.

3. Segment your workday. This is one of the best productivity lessons I learned more than 10 years ago. My day is broken into 2 hour segments for the most part and the segments include sales/marketing, operations (usually delegating), creative, ME, and follow up (or long term planning). I stay focused yet touch all aspects of my business and the day flies.

4. Do the things you enjoy doing, delegate the rest. If you have trouble focusing on the task at hand, it could very well be you just don’t enjoy doing it or don’t have an expertise for it. Stop faking it and start delegating ASAP. Give yourself permission to take it off your plate so you can focus on the things you’re good at.

5. Create a system for accountability. If you’re missing your deadlines, consider a mandatory donation to your favorite charity or some other activity that will help condition you to stay on track. Also consider having others hold you to your word. Having to report in to someone on your progress is incentive enough to stay focused.

6. Limit distractions. You my not be able to stay focused simply because you’re too distracted chasing bright shiny balls. That’s what I call the “opportunities” that we have trouble passing up yet in the end steer us further from our path. Learn to say NO, at least for a limited time, if you’re really committed to achieving your primary goals. You won’t miss out. There will be another similar opportunity right around the corner that’s just perfect for you.

7. Are you “folding deck chairs”?
Ask yourself that each time you start something new. Make sure the activities you are pursuing are in your best interest and really moving you toward achieving your goals. Learn to let go immediately of the busy-ness and move into more productive activities. Staying busy yet not quite productive could be you “hiding out” from success.

8. Take a break. When you’re having trouble focusing, working longer hours won’t make the situation better. Taking time to regularly refresh and rejuvenate as well as natural supplements that help with mental clarity will work wonders. I carve out time each day for gym, nap, pampering and/or meditation and schedule some down time on the weekend--- no matter how much work I have on my plate.

No comments: