Sunday, February 3, 2008

5 Strategies To Successfully Get Your Products Sold In Retail Stores

Over the years I have personally developed products for the retail market as well as helped others get their products into stores like Macy’s, Bloomingdales, hotel gift shops such as the Ritz-Carlton, airport stores, electronic retailers such as QVC and Home Shopping Network, and many other distribution channels. I have learned strategies of what works best to assure that I will quickly have a place on that store’s shelf when I am ready to launch. I now mentor others who want to achieve the same results and here are just a few of the strategies I share with my clients.

1. Document in your marketing or business plan all the distribution channels where you see your product selling. Your final product may actually look and feel different in each of those markets so understand your channels first before you invest lots of time and resources in actually making your product. My products in Bloomingdales do not look like a product I would sell in Costco. Prototypes work well before you’re ready to commit to manufacturing.

2. Pick your top three distribution channels and very early on, establish contact with the people in the local stores who would be considered the buyer for your classification. Every department in every store has someone who oversees the buying for that department.

3. Develop a relationship with these buyers so you now have access to people who can give you guidance on the best way to develop your products. Utilize their expertise --- they know what people want to buy.

4. When you’re ready with product and want to get a national contract with a retail chain store, it would be easier to go back to your local buyers to help you get into a local store for testing purposes.

5. If you’re selling event in the local stores is successful, work with that buyer in the local stores to help you get a national contract with the chain. Don’t go about this process alone.

Selling to the major retail chains also requires that you have adequate resources for marketing and to be able to handle delayed payments. It might be easier to start with local markets in the beginning to develop your resources and work out any product issues. Also, the more niched your product is for a certain segment of the population, the easier it is to get into your markets and create brand awareness.

To your success!
Maria Simone
www.manifestsuccessguru.com

1 comment:

Mom of the Princess said...

Thanks for the great post. I have been looking all over the internet for some guidance to get my product into stores (wedding boutiques). My product, the Here Comes the Bride banner, is so popular and has taken on a life of it's own. But, I would love to sell my product in wedding boutiques (online and brick/mortar)as I would expand my client base and make it even more popular. I guess now I need to come up with my approach for some local vendors. Any suggestions on how to get your product featured in magazines? I know that would really reach many brides.